2 tbsps unsalted butter, plus 1 1/2 tsps
2 tbsps olive oil
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 cup coarse breadcrumbs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 lb cheese of your choice (I usually mix Cheddar and Gruyere)
1 lb spiral pasta
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (gas mark 4) and grease a casserole dish with butter
2. Heat 1 1/2 tsps butter and 1 1/2 tsps olive oil in a skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides; then cook garlic and breadcrumbs, stirring until crumbs are golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
3. Cook macaroni in a large pot of salted water until tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with 1 Tbl. olive oil.
4. Melt 2 Tbsps butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat; then add flour and cook, whisking, 2 minutes, allowing the mixture to foam. Slowly whisk in milk, cream, and mustard. Simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 minutes. Add cheeses to the sauce and remove from heat. Add salt to taste.
5. Add macaroni and sauce to the casserole dish, mixing well. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake casserole on centre rack for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Courtesy of The Nest