--> My first flan!
*Always best to make the day before serving*
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 can condensed milk
1 small can evaporated milk
4 large eggs
1 container Philly cream cheese
1 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Make caramel first.....Pour 1 1/2 cups sugar in a pot and cook over medium high heat and stir constantly until sugar melts. It will start getting golden.. watch the color you do not want it too light or too brown. If it smells burnt start over.
Once you have it perfect pour it immediately into a metal bread pan Tilt the pan to coat all the side with the caramel. Be careful the caramel burns. The pots and spoons that you use will be sticky... just soak them in warm water.
3. Make the flan
4. Pour the mixture into the pan with the caramel in it. Sometimes the caramel fizzles etc.. it is ok it is just that the caramel is hot and the mixture cold...
5. Put pan inside a larger pan with water (bano Maria) and put in oven to cook.
After 30 minutes look at it.. once the top starts toasting... cover with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn.
6. Cook until firm not hard but the middle can't be watery.. In my oven it takes 1 hour to an hour and a half. Make sure the top is toasted but not burned..
Source: Aunt Rosy